Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I found a bruise on my lower abdomen today. I've had no

Customer Question
I found a bruise...

I found a bruise on my lower abdomen today. I've had no injuries nor trauma to the area.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have a myoma compressing the endometrium for about 2 years now and it hurts after exercising my abdominals or vigorous intercourse and sometimes causes spotting.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/18/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hell from JustAnswer.

An occasional isolated bruise that occurs without a known injury is not a problems. Almost everyone has an occasional bruise of the skin arise. It can happen for a variety of reasons. Someone could have bumped into that section of skin without recalling a specific injury. Or it could have occurred during an activity during which you were easily distracted, such as playing with children. The skin also could have been pinched or scratched accidentally without an apparent injury, such as being pinched between clothing. In addition, as someone ages, the blood vessels in the skin become more fragile, so a certain amount of unexplained bruising happens more often as we age.

I would noted that an endometrial myoma would not contribute to bruising of the abdominal skin, even if there is exacerbation of pain associated with the myoma with contraction of the abdominal muscles.

When we say that someone with easy bruising should get checked, it is far more than the occasional isolated bruise that cannot be readily explained. So, the only reason to be concerned would be if someone is having frequent episodes of unexplained bruising. But there is no reason for concern about this single bruise.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.