Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Weight. Oss, I want lose weight,

Customer Question
Weight. Oss Doctor's Assistant:...

Weight. Oss

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I want lose weight

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/18/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr David

I'm glad you want to loose weight

how old are you?

are you male or female?

are you taking any medications?

have you tried to cut your calories and exercise to loose weight?

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi

Weight loss involves a number of factors.

First, you need to make sure you are healthy and you need to see your doctor, and to

see if you are OK for exercise.

Have your doctor check all routine labs and your thyroid function.

Then, the best diet, scientifically, is a nutrient dense, anti inflammatory diet.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

Finally, you need to exercise a little daily, and walking is fine.

1 to 2 sessions of resistance weight training a week will build fat burning muscle.

Walk everywhere.

If approved by your doctor, do aerobics of some form, such as swimming, classes, etc.

There is no other way to lose weight long term other than the lifestyle change, and it is safe compared to surgery.

No pills are effective for long term weight loss.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.