DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My daughter competes in track and field at a division I

Customer Question

My daughter competes in track and field at a division I University. She has a hx of shin pain which increased in the past month. She went to the Dr. that works with the student athletes at her school to be examined last week. They took an X-ray and it came back that she has a visible stress fracture in her left tibia (visible on the X-ray). The Dr. told her she didn't need to be training and considered even giving her a no weight bearing profile, but decided that maybe she could train in the pool or on a bike. She is to where a boot at all other times. In light of the orders the Dr. gave her trainer was not happy and told her that they spoke with the Dr. and that she was fine to train as she normally would. I concerned with my daughters health and don't want her doing anything that could further injure her. Is there reason for me to feel this way, or am I just that "crazy" parent? Thanks
She is a sprinter and long jumper (not sure if that matters?)...
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I would be concerned.

Stress fractures require rest and proper therapy as do all fractures, and I would not suggest that she can train normally, or the fracture can become chronic.

I am not sure why a trainer's opinion would weight up there with a doctors, but this can be resolved by her seeing a good orthopedist. I would not rely on any third hand doctors information as relayed by the trainer.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.