Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have specialized in common problems for men, women, children, and the elderly.
72350808

I am a 58 year old black male..I go to sleep while talking.

Customer Question

I am a 58 year old black male..I go to sleep while talking. I snore when I sleep almost gasping for breath. When I wake up, my eyes are blood shot. I get up in the morning and then I am ready to go back to sleep. Lately I've been cold at times and some times sweating through my clothes at times.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com chat dialog.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener.

I have read your post and observations.

Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified?

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Summary answer

What you describe is called Sleep Apnea. It has several causes, some related to brain configuration and brain function, and some related to mechanical constriction on the airways. Part of the condition is that people are unusually tired during the daytime, and get poor sleep, even when they believe they do get good sleep, because of "apneic" (loss of breath) episodes during sleep time. The treatments for Sleep Apnea vary depending on the particulars of the syndrome, but the next step for you is to have a Polysomnography test (a sleep study) to evaluate the specific subtype of sleep apnea you have. Your primary care doctor can refer you for the sleep study. During the study, you will be fitted with monitoring devices so that the testing providers can evaluate your sleep, and recommend specific treatments for you. Most people who have sleep apnea benefit from a device called a CPAP machine, which very often eliminates the symptoms and troubles.

You may find the following link to the Mayo Clinic information about Sleep Apnea helpful: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sleep-apnea/basics/definition/con-20020286

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I answer any other questions for you today?

If you feel like I have addressed your question, please click on EXCELLENT. My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated favorably by our patients like you!

If you have any follow up questions, please don’t hesitate to ask for me in your question title.

Thank you! Hopefully, I’ll see you again soon.

Thank you!