Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

This has happened before with out alcohol. But the other day

Customer Question

This has happened before with out alcohol. But the other day after work at about 12:30 am i had a couple glasses of wine. I went to sleep and woke up about an hr later to go to bathroom. While peeing i became nauseous and felt like i was gonna faint. I stopped peeing and went to go to my bedroom. Nxt thing i know i wake up face down on my wood floor with blood coming out of my nose. I think i hit the edge of my door. Anyhow. I dont remember falling. At this time i go to ER. I got the impression dr assumed it was alcohol. I told him this happened before with out it. But rarely. He did ct scan and xray of nose. Came back normal. He comes back to tell me my BAC was .02 when he took my blood. And was like its not the alcohol. Cardiology is all good because i got a work up in May 2015. Echo stress ekg holter monito etc. been cleared neurologically. I have a follow up with primary tomorrow. What should i ask. Am i a possible diabetic?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

drinking alcohol can cause you to black out, be dehydrated, be nauseous and dizzy, can cause you to pass out.

it can even cause you to not realize you hit your face and cause your nose to bleed

if you are overweight or obese, you are increasing your risks to become type 2 diabetic

some people don't metabolize alcohol very well and can cause them to become more intoxicated than others, even after 1-2 drinks.

I would avoid alcohol in the future if drinking causes these issues for you.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well like i mentioned. This will happen with out alcohol. Im not obese. Im quite muscular as matter of fact. This will only happen in the middle of night pee. Its not the alcohol. This does not happen often. I seen sometimg online to the affect of micturition syncope. Change in blood pressure, from laying down to standing up. If you can think of a deeper problem that be great
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you could possibly have drops in blood pressure or drops in your blood sugar levels in the middle of the night when you pee.

you need to buy a home blood pressure cuff

and check your blood pressure at night time when you urinate and see if it drops.

you can also borrow home glucose monitors at home at night time

and check your blood sugar at night

drops in blood sugar can cause you to pass out as well.

you may have to avoid drinking so much fluid or water or coffee after dinner to minimize how much you urinate at night time.

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this common?Does this concern you if a patient tells you they fall flat on their face?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

no, this is not common, but it can happen

if it gets more frequent, you can have a sleep study in a hospital where they can monitor you in the hospital and see if it happens at night time

if it is infrequent, they may not catch it on a sleep study

you should see a primary care doctor and get a full physical and blood panel workup and evaluation

do you have a primary care doctor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do. What are other tests besides a fast and blood work for type 2
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

there are checks for hemoglobin a1c which is blood test to look for long term control of blood sugar

there is also a glucose challange test where they give you a drink of 50gm of sugar and watch your blood sugar at 1 and 3 hours to see how well your body produces insulin to drop your blood sugar levels.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What other issues would you suspect?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

drops in blood pressure or drops in blood glucose levels are the most common issues.

thyroid hormone imbalances possibly.

those are common issues.

I would start with those first

and see a primary care doctor and get a full physical and blood test workup.

your primary care doctor may want to order a CT or MRI scan of your brain as well.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did ct scan that night
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I see.

I bet that CT scan of your brain was normal?

most likely it was without contrast.

they do that at the ER frequenty to check for subdural bleeds from head trauma

it is really not a good scan to look for anything else.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com