How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11420
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

35 year old female here. I've been having severe pain in

Customer Question

35 year old female here. I've been having severe pain in what I now understand to be my "flank" area. It is on both sides, right and left, but near excruciating on the left side. The pain is mostly just below my ribs and above my hip, that ENTIRE span of an area. It also seems to wrap around my back around where my kidney is located and also around my abdomen and groin regions. It's a constant pain that alternates between dull and achy and sharp and stabby. Sometimes it feels like someone has jabbed a hot poker in my side through to my back and is pricking my organs, releasing, and then doing it again for fun like some form of medieval torture game. Sometimes I can't breathe. Sometimes it causes numbness in my left arm or down my left leg. I've been to the ER already where I had CT scans with no abnormal results except arthritis, which I already know I have. I do have ovarian cyst issues but I do not know if they are active. I have had them in the past, including ruptured cysts. This pain has been going on for months and while I did have my period when I was rushed to the ER via ambulance I do not have it now and the pain is just as bad. My lovely endocrinologist sent me for several ultra sounds today - bladder, pelvic, transvaginal, and renal - all of which were incredibly painful at the site when the technician was pushing down with the wand. There was a point I almost told her I couldn't go on with it because the pain literally took my breath away. But I know there is nothing seriously wrong because they let me leave the place. All she was willing to tell me because I was crying that I was afraid I was crazy was that she did see pockets of trapped gas which she believed accounted for the hideous pain I was feeling when she touched me, but she refused to tell me anything else saying that she wasn't a doctor or radiologist and that she legally couldn't. I don't care. At least it's SOMETHING to work with. I don't know which of the ultrasounds detected that. I'm assuming renal because that's when I almost jumped off the exam table from the pain. So if it is trapped gas, what exactly does this mean? How much trapped gas could there be? How long could it be there for? This many MONTHS? Is it just accumulating? Does it never go away? Could trapped gas really cause this kind of pain - because to have this kind of pain I feel like I should be coming out of it with something, like a baby. And most importantly - HOW THE HOLY HELL DO I GET RID OF IT? I cannot go on like this much longer. Please help me.PS (I know this isn't directly related to endocrinology but there weren't any other appropriate subjects to post in in)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS