How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29168
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. I am an otherwise healthy 28 yr old

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I am an otherwise healthy 28 yr old female, recently experiencing pelvic pain during menstruation. I went to a walk-in clinic and the physician prescribed Naproxen for dysmenorrhea (suspected Endometriosis) with a follow up ultra sound which came back with negative results (nothing seen/found). A blood test was ordered which found my TSH levels to be high (5.0 ?) but my T3 and T4 results were 'in range'. Slight increase of white blood cell count which the physician concluded could indicate infection due to the endo.Other side effects and symptoms that have me worried: In the last year I have experienced unexplained weight loss (165 lbs to 125 lbs) and more recently, in the last 3-4 months, have been experiencing extreme night sweats. My clothing/bedding is not too heavy and these sweats are not accompanied by a hot flash. Everything is soaked to the point of needing to change my clothing and sometimes my bedding. I have also experienced unexplained itchy hands and sometimes my forearms. I am concerned something systemic is occurring and I am not getting "consistent" care at a walk-in clinic.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That is as much as I can think of at this time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

As per current guidelines, you are hypothyroid.

TSH above 3.5 is considered hypothyroid even though T3 and T4 normal.

Hence hypothyroid can explain most of your symptoms except for weight loss part.

That raises the question of autoimmune disorder like systemic lupus, or systemic sclerosis.

Hence you will need autoimmune antibody panel as well --ANA titer w/ reflex to anti dsDNA antibody, anti SCL 70, sed rate, CRP, anti SSA, anti SSb etc.

A consultation with a rheumatologist should be considered as well.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile: