Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am recovering from a severe upper respiratory infection…

Customer Question
I am recovering from a...
I am recovering from a severe upper respiratory infection and for the first time today was out of my bedroom watching TV when I fell asleep. I woke up 30 minutes later to find my right shoulder and back of my neck seemed chilled and noticed that one of my children had not closed the internal door to the garage tight enough and it blew open with all the wind we are experiencing in our state. I was about 3 feet away from the door. Those were the only areas along with my head not covered by a blanket.. I immediately took a hot shower and put menthol on the area. I am most concerned as I have know one person whom came down with Bells Palsy in a similar fashion. Is there anything else I can do to combat what happened?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/13/2016
Doctor: green-owl,
 replied 2 years ago
green-owl

Hi, to be on the safe side, can you tell me a few things? How long ago did this happen, did the skin kept a different color, if so how does it look right now? If you pass a finger lightly on that skin area, do you feel is as well as before (or the opposite symetrical part of your body)?

It happened 3 hours ago and the skin feels fine for now but I heard it takes 24 hours for symptoms
If your not a medical doctor so how can you respond to this question?
Doctor: green-owl,
 replied 2 years ago

I am also a forest worker in the north and i am also a winter bike rider,i know cold very well. You did the right thing with the hot shower. The biggest danger as you were sleeping was hypothermia but that rarely happen in the situation you were in without being damp. Bells Palsy come from damage to the nerves. As you where having a blanket you got enough hot area/mass to heat those nerve by the blood flow. What got cold was the surface of the skin and unless it was -30C outdoor you are not likely to suffer from frostbite (especially that with just one door open, the wind was probably very low). For 30 min you will perhaps only have a little bit of rash/tinling tommorow and probably not even have any effect.

Doctor: Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered. replied 2 years ago
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced General Physician attending you.

The question has been just posted to doctors.

Don't worry. Bell's palsy happens in rare cases when exposed to severe cold for a prolonged duration.

As you said, your exposure is limited to 30min and only your head is exposed to cold, nil chances of you getting into the similar situation.

Now, you did a right thing by taking a hot shower. Keep yourselves warm, and avoid stress.

Stress and thinking much about it can do more harm than it has to happen, so be assured, nothing is going to happen in your case.

Please feel free to ask if any further questions. If done for now, please leave a positive rating

[Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "For Dr. Chaithanya only" in the medical or health categories.

Below link is the fastest way to reach me,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is welcome and highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com