Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

65yr female, retired trauma nurse. Feb 9 saw doc with sinus…

Customer Question
65yr female, retired trauma nurse. Feb...
65yr female, retired trauma nurse.
Feb 9 saw doc with sinus infection and earache - Rx ZPack - completed and ineffective
Now have original symptoms plus swollen lymph glands, patchy white in tonsil fossa, some productive cough.
Allergic to Penicillin....have Cipro on hand....don't like to self medicate
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/13/2016
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

Doxycycline (100 mg orally twice daily or 200 mg orally daily) is a reasonable alternative for first-line therapy and can be used in patients with penicillin allergy . A respiratory fluoroquinolone (levofloxacin 500 mg orally or moxifloxacin 400 mg orally once daily) is another option for penicillin-allergic patients. Macrolides (clarithromycin or azithromycin), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, and second- or third-generation cephalosporins are not recommended for empiric therapy because of high rates of resistance of S. pneumoniae (and of H. influenzae for trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole).

It is not possible for me to get a Rx for Docyciline. I have Ciprofloxin 500mg on hand. I 5 days sufficient or must I take it for 7days?

Ciprofloxin is not respiratory fluoroquinolone as you know. It is good for urinary tract infection.