Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband and I were volunteers at a church garden, weeding…

Customer Question
My husband and I were...
My husband and I were volunteers at a church garden, weeding as many as 25 hours per summer. We did not have a key to the church, however, and couldn't go inside to wash our hands. During an allergy attack, I cleaned out my sinuses with my little fingers using a Subway napkin. I had always been very careful about washing my hands since childhood, but this time, I had dirty hands smeared with slug goo. I looked down at the base of my left little finger immediately afterward, and saw two white specks. One elongated its tiny eye tentacles - it was a baby garden slug. Since then, I have been coughing up either things that look like small garden slugs, with a dark spot in them (a pneumostome?), or worms up to 2" long. My doctor treated me with Vermox, but says he can't retreat due to potential harm to the liver. My phone no. is(###) ###-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/11/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

it is very simple for a lab to test for parasites and parasite eggs called ovum.

why can't your doctors test your nasal specimens for parasite eggs and parasites

this will tell for sure if you have an infection.

a worm would not have eaten into your brain

have you consulted with an ENT doctor to have a direct sinuscopy procedure to look into your sinuses?

have you tried allergy medications and steroid nasal sprays to help decrease allergy symptoms?

this winter weather is weird this year causing odd allergy symptoms.

Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

I would recommend seeing an infectious disease specialist to test you

if you tell me where you live I can direct you