Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My husband had a scan with contrast about 9am on Monday. We

Customer Question

My husband had a scan with contrast about 9am on Monday. We were given instructions to stop Metformin for 48 hours. I took it out of his medications for last night and this morning but when I refilled his week for the coming seven days tonight, I forgot and put it in tonight's section. He had already taken it and gone to bed when I realized what I had done. It has been about 36 hours. Do I need to take him to the emergency room for preventive treatment or what should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you don't need to wake him up

but you should bring him to his doctors tomorrow or the urgent care tomorrow to get blood test to check his BUN and creatinine levels to check on his kidneys

most likely it will be fine

but in rare cases, patients who get IV contrast and who take metformin have an increased risks for kidney damage.

so blood test for BUN and creatinine blood test tomorrow can check on his kidney function.

have him drink more water tomorrow to help his kidneys as well.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have any other questions?