Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a urine sample of mine nd put two strips in The

Customer Question
I had a urine sample...
I had a urine sample of mine nd put two strips in
The results were actually positive for a few things and wondering-- what you thought? I'm 38 girl I'm 5'1.5 96#
BLD-10 Ery/Ul
Above normal- what does that mean?
UBG 2mg/dl also above normal - why and what does that mean?
Bilirubin 4mg/dl ( elevated??)
Protein - positive 30 mg/dl...
I'm nervous what does this imply for kidney function?
Ascorbic acid - 20 mG / DL ( elevated- what is this?)
specific Gravity (Sg) 1.030 that's highest in elevated realm and I don't know what this is so can you explain why so out range and what it is? Leukocytes 500 Leu/UL ( this is one thing I have had before with UTI! I thought I treated it with DR and antibiotics but apparently still elevated?
Nitrites and ketones -NEGATIVE ( don't have those) pH is normal -5
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/2/2016
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Thanks for this question.

I'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to help

Any chance you are on your period right now?

if so that would explain everything

No I'm not I had it 13th of january

Did you do a clean sample?

Did you wipe the urethra and clean it before you sampled it?

I didn't wipe urethra! But I was given a completely sanitized cup and I never wipe before and I've never had these results?

I would redo the test with wiping. I think this was an error

you are supposed to wipe

Either that or do a midstream catch

Don't freak out until you confirm there is something wrong

Let's view this as (no period and no contamination) please explain the answer to my initial question!

IF this is a sterile sample then you likely have a urinary tract infection

plain and simple

This is $52.00??? I'm not on period and I do these all time never a matter I've never had these waits and duplicated!!!!!!! Please explain ( I DONT THINK ITS AN ERROR OR I WOULDNT ASK:)??

I stated you likely have a urinary tract infection if this is truly a positive finding

Wait I did have one lkng ago September ( first time) it hurt!!! I took two doses maybe*****have me and then 4 months no pain and so PLAIN AND SINPLE?I didn't have. Blood or protein or elevated Sg? Or elevated bilirubin?
So would you address my question- b/c one time I had urinary T I I had so much pain- and it's been 4 months and I don't have any itch or pain? I treated that with OB GYN and strong antibiotics in September 2015

Bilirubin in the urine can be a sign of a blood problem. It can also indicate a kidney issue

However, you would likely have other symptoms if this was a major body issue like kidney disease or a blood problem

it wouldn't just show in the urine

that is why the most likely explanation is an error or urinary tract infection

a high bilirubin in the urine would potentially indicate that you are breaking down red blood cells in the blood. This could be a variety of issues. I highly doubt this is the case though.

I really think we need to repeat this with another urine sample and get a culture to rule out infection

Bilirubin, blood, SG, asCorboc acid
In my urine elevated- and PROTEIN? 30mg /When I had a UTI- 1x it hurt me I was treated in September 2015 and

UTIs can cause a variety of symptoms so they aren't always the same

Like I said, protein can indicate infection or a problem with the kidney leaking protein

you absolutely need to repeat the test and check the blood for red blood cell count and kidney function

I didn't have any of the other results I mentioned here now 5+ times . And I don't have pain I had with UTI. So can you please explain how this is a UTI and I don't have pain and was reward 4-5 months ago by my doctor and 3 rounds of antibioticsIs it possible that JUST THIS TIME - all those levels are in wrong range and I HAVE NO PAIN FOR 4-5 months with a Uti( last time I couldn't move so painful and only time I had and was treated for UTI. So why no pain now?
I told you that I did the test two times (=your recommendation
To repeati the test ? Yes? So already diplicayed
duplicated/ repeated

Okay, then you need to start looking at other causes

you need

1)CBC

2)comprehensive metabolic panel

3)kidney ultrasound

WE need to make sure there is nothing wrong with the blood that is filtering into the urine

are you saying that UTIs can be present right after retreated and for 4-5 months no pain at all and so I see all these results protein blood bilirubin .sG ascorbic acid etc on wrong values and YOU SAY THIS IS BECAUSE I HAVE A UTI ( despite last time I didn't have these results with UTI and I had so much pain and now 4-5 months passed after treatment and now ? I have a UTI? Because I already reported the test results duplicated

I'm saying I'm not 100% sure you have a UTI

A culture is needed to prove that

No other way to prove it

Now you mention a Kidney ultrasound?
You didn't before ( I've given you the same info over and over )
I Ofcourse had a CBC blood taken and waiting results and liver and thyroid fill cholesterol panel and Hemaobin A1c and vitamin D and hormonal tests ordered so I now need to wait ( you are saying NOW I SHOULD WORRY? And I should get....a KIDNEY ULTRASOUND?
Reason I asked in first place was because I have to wait another 3-5 days Fr blood work and is there something I should be concerned about and anything else I can do to detect if a problem?Now you change your answer-
I should get what blood work done specifically??????
Kidney ultrasound? ( what is it they are to measure- kidney function?)And if this labs are accurate as I asked you 1st time what do they each mean??????

Well I think you should get a culture first

I didn't realize you already repeated your tests

You seem to be very angry with me but I am just trying to help

NA culture? Is that the same as kidney ultra sound? Different? And now you can't be sure- so answer the statements I just asked cause you change answers and I ASKED WHAT EACH OF THOSE MEASUREMENTS MEANT DEFINITION! And if elevated then WHY???? What could be causing that? I did not HAVE THESE RESULTS AFTER TREATED 4 months ago for uti
If you read my first question you'd not have to realize ( YOUD KNOW THE TEST WAS DONE TWICE = 2x
I'm not here to have. The level of my anger evaluated- so don't tell me things I don't ask for - you are paid to answer MY QUESTIONSLet's do thatDo I need to repeat the question I asked hour ago??? 1st one?
What do each of those tests mean - definition of
Ascorbic acid- why is that measured in urine?
Protein? Why measured
SG- what is specific gravity- I HAD HIGHEST OF THE WORST LEVELS SO WHAT IS THAT AND WHY MEASURING THAT?
Bilirubin - define? Why measured in it one? What do each of these specifically have to do and high levels indicate as far as kidney function???????
Are you going to answer my questions? Or just taking my money wasting my time? My phone battery is low. So where are you?
Are you preparing answers to the questions I asked first
And I've now rewritten again - are you answering my questions?

I can't help you with some many messages coming in at me. I can't follow your texts. would you like me to opt out for another expert?

Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I am another expert here

would you like me to help you?

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

Blood , protein and bilirubin on a dipstick can all be errors, or meaningless.

They are not definitive for anything.

If your doctor is concerned, you would need a 24 hour urine sample.

Your doctor needs to do a liver enzyme test to make sure the liver is OK and the the gallbladder bile flow is not blocked, which can elevated bilirubin.

This is a simple blood test, and along with a CBC will rule out serious problems related to this dipstick.

Dipsticks can also get old by the pak, and be inaccurate.

Check on this.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Dr. Thomas

Find me any time in medical for accurate and comprehensive answers.

Please click a positive.

Hi thank you for your reply. Basically the rest was done twice - I've never had elevated protein 30mg/do? As orbit acid - elevated! What is that what harm can that do? Please explain what each of these tests results indicate and what could be the potential cause ( let's rule out - I'm not having my period now:) and I had a UTI in September for first time -( hurt like HELL) leukocyte a were elevated not these others!!!! Plus I was treated plus does that mean I've had the uti since then?
Bilirubin? What is that and high level indicates? SG(specific gravity- define and what does that do that's harmful when elevated and what could cause these I need to know all potential causes and !!
I'll give you my numbers from the DIPSTICK TEST DONE TWO TIMES!!!
One more time and thanks for answering me in the direction of my initial question.Blood 10Ery/irk elevated ( I know above 3 is elevated...?)
Uroglobin- NORMAL
BILIRUBIN- 4mg/dl elevated
Protein- 30 mg/ DL elevated!!! There should be none correct??
Ascor acid- so elevated it's the highest number possible listed on the dipstick reading chart 1.030Yet my PH -5 normal!Ketones - NEGATIVE ( normal)Glucose - normal!I see leukocyte a are back ( one thing I had with that UTI - and MASSICE PAIN) I got rid of the Ito and leukocyte a and I was given 3 rounds of antibiotics and so
That was sept 2015So the answer -it's a UTI? Doesn't suffice and shouldn't to anyone who is at all educated and sees facts here - no pain and I didn't have all these off line not in normal limits with UTI actually- ever
Please FOCUS ON MY QUESTION- I just wanted to ask 1x!!!!!!Test was done twice
Results duplicated
I'm 38
5'1.5
Female
96 pounds
And I do have a cold ( stuffy nose) went to the dr and it's a virus and nothing in my ears or throat that suggests Ned of antibiotics -
Now 2 hours or 3 hours since I first asked what do each of those high leaves definition? What are possible causes ( not period menstriation I don't have now :))) and uti??? Doesn't match all I've said - if you think that's what it is - lmk!)Can I get answers to my questions please - I've worked harder - I would have looked it up!!!!!! So you are different than initial person responding to me ( you seem more fluent and last time I ask:) $52!!!!
Please find the questions I've asked over and over please provide comprehensive answers and it's been 3 hours since I first asked !!!!Thank you so much
I didn't ask what my dr needs to do - because I know already and I am in medical field so I would advise you and all to answer the questions ( don't offer up info I tell you not to - I TOOK BLOOD - BLOOD WAS TAKEN CBC always and a whole bunch of other tests ( listed them before ) you need not to worry about what My physician sneed to do - cause I go to good physicians if they weren't if have switched:)So I'm on here thinking ask you / him - it's so Aggrevating because no one has answered my questions so I don't care how many times or where you are board certified!!!!!!!!!What if I'm a physician would you read the answer provided by the first physician...- you think that's acceptablePlease answer me as if I have completed at very least all Pre Med and masters science and one year ibtwrship at LENOX HILL HOSPITAL IN nY and I too am Certified MS, RD and I work with physicians of all specialties in NYC for years! And more ...you don't need to know that- but you should address your audience as if they are educated people

Hello

This is the most recent expert.

I have no control over what delays occurred.

You apparently did not read my answer.

As I said, you need to have your doctor do a blood test.

The test is called CMP

This will check liver and renal function.

The concern is a problem with the liver or gallbladder as far as the bilirubin.

The kidney as far as the blood and protein.

If these are normal, I am not concerned about the dipstick.

See my previous answer as well.

Please click a positive rating at the top of the answer page.

Then come back as needed. I will stick with you.

You've aggravate me ignored evasive don't answer questions provide dumb ass possibilities that aren't possible! You take forever to acknowledge that so not only would I not pay $52 I actually think you and all board certified ...physi
You didn't answer

Hello

I just answered.

You apparently did not read it.

how to AGGREVATED people - potentially in the medical field, potentially on here to see who and what goes on? Potentially a real person well educated and just wants answers ASAP!!!!!!!!
I actually did read your answer and I'm not being paid but you didn't read my question or response to your PATHETIC ANSWER - would not fly at a round table of even residents let alone attending a so try again!!!!!!!

Here is the answer I just posted

Hello

This is the most recent expert.

You apparently did not read my answer.

The test is called CMP

See my previous answer as well.

You are being paid
At very least learn from first time or second or anytime thereafter WHAT NOT TO DO
DO NOT TELL ME WHAT MY DOCTOR SHOULD DO ( stated 55x already) all been done and the rest was duplicated and never had inaccuracy from these stocks or tests before - but these times I did - so you remember how to isolate the VARIABLE??????

I am going to opt out of this thread.

Perhaps another expert will help you

I am the original expert that helped you.

would you like my assistance?

1. Bloo 10 ERY/UlAccurate!!!!!
What causes that? It's above 3! It is 10 so how bad is that and potential causes and can this be treated?Do that for every since he lab dipstick test I listed 4900 XAs orbit acid
Specific gravity- WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? Is there gravity in urine?????? 1.030 elevated..?????Bilirubin elevated - why potentially and causes and what does this do? How to fixProtein 30 mg/ DL should there be any protein in urine? If so what is WNL ( within normal limits) if not - I know it's elevated WTF CAUSES THAT? And what do about it? And what harm happens at30mG/Dl protein elevated in urine????
Are you answering me? Properly? Now? 3.5 hours since I started this ' experiment' no it wasn't at first!!! But now well wasted all my time so fix what you've done and your COLLEGUES!!! And show me how you'd answer this question and not waste 3.5hpurs of someone potentially paying you $52?????
I'm waiting!!!!!!! Where are you?????
Opting out?

1)infection, bleeding, bladder cancer, kidney problems, lupus. It can be treated for most causes if not all of them

2)specific gravity just means the weight of the liquid. if it has blood and bilirubin in it, then it weighs more.

3)bilirubin-gall bladder or blood cells breaking down.

4)protein-kidney problems mainly, infection, bleeding.

would you like it if people paid you and then asked you and you actually DID ANSWER AND THEY 'opted out rescinded their payment????? I'd not.So opting out!!! You are creating some fan club for this web site and I'm so AGGREVATED so some has one more chance to provide an answer - it may be displayed publicly and you want to be proud of what you say

Please review my prior answer.

It gives you all the info you need

I see some improvement but we need more

I appreciate your time in this answer and patience.

I wish you luck in your endeavor.

please don't forget a positive rating or me. I appreciate it :)

if you have more questions, just reply

If blood in urine ( then lupus, infection- WHAT KIND ARE A MILLION KINDS - what kind? STD? What infections are included? And I have you Alll the test results because you should be using ALL TO MAKE YOUR RESPONSE ????? Or does one not matter - are they each individually (one up one down-...) does the conglomeration of tests indicate different results if one , 2,3 4 just 4, just 1st. All , 5 ...do they affect each other ?Why are some normal?Ph-5! WNL? Why?
Uroglobulim- WNL
KETONES ( negative ) normal:) why how could excess protein in hrine but no ketones?????Glucose - normal!!So again utilize all this information and o I don't want to all you for an addition50$
If that's how this 4 hour waste of time!!! Forget $52 ( most care I don't as much as 4 hours!) you ask rate ? You? Well? You'd be fortunate if your responses were just not rated- how are you going to return 4 hours of my time?????
This site.....I did give you many chances and I'd still like to see you answer properly but instead you asked me to give you a good rating- I sufficiently at best answered question- so - any last tries??????????

Infection-urinary tract, kidney or sexually transmitted. Yes. all can do this

They all affect each other. yes. You take the whole picture to make a story.

Some are normal because the kidneys are processing them fine.

PH 5 is normal. Means your kidneys are maintaining normal PH balance

Ketones are a breakdown product of muscle. So your metabolism is working okay.

I could ask you the same question about the last 4 hours. LOL. Only kidding. ;)

Does the infection include potentially STDs? Yes? No? What other infections could be culprit?

yes, it does. Absolutely. Gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomonas, herpes. But generally you would have symptoms with these like discharge.

Urinary tract infection with e coli or proteus or klebsiella are common

I like your hunor at end tough I'm not soliciting- I asked cause you offered so you offer and I choose to pay spend time you best be answering!!!!!! Cause that's the job of who? MINE? Yours?Getting a little warner but not getting at the questions I askedALL THE POTENTIAL CAUSES OF EACH ANDKETONES - negative =metabolism functioning well ( ALMOST AN EXCELLENT ANSWER)Do that- format
With each other lab result pleaseEx: ELEVATED PROTEIN AND WHY # 30 mg / DL significant? If it's elevated its elevated- what's the difference when I write 30?????
Didn't write 10? Didn't write 50?So explain and follow your own format above

That is my job.

You are a tough customer! You made the best experts on this site opt out! I refuse to give up though! I'm stubborn that way! Even if you pay me or not I will help you!

I believe I did that before.

Elevated protein-this means that the kidneys are leaking protein into the urine. Something is causing this. It is many possibilities. the higher the protein, the worse the damage. It could be a kidney problem or an infection doing this.

I apologize if I came off a bit disgruntled - I am AGGREVATED. And so 4 hours later I have a little more info a lot of AGGREVATION and I just want to knowAre you going to answer the questions as I asked them? And in the format I've now told you to answer them. YES OR NO? And when???????
I like your commitment:) now leaking? It's not a sink??;) GLOMERIALUS??? IDK? Something like that? Where is protein leaking from and why?
I still wouldn't know WHAT IS ASCIRBIC ACID AND WHEN ELEVATED IN URINE - why? Indications?????

Actually it is kind of like a sink. A sink with a filter. The filter is broken and leaking protein. something is causing it. Infection, lupus, etc

ascorbic acid=this is just another measure of acid in the urine. PH is 5 (acidic) so both indicate acidic

FORST- oh 5- it's WNL the ascorbic acid as I'll remind you AGAIN IS NOT IN NORMAL LIMITS ITS ELEVATED SO EXPLAIN THAT???????Like a sink....? Ok- so urine = water and what would be the sink- in that metaphor?And instead of writing general word ' infection' ITS ACTUALLY IRITATING

1)yes, ascorbic is high. It is measuring acid. So is the PH. PH 5 is normal. PH less than 7 is acidic. So both are showing acid

2)the kidney is the sink. The membrane in the kidney is the filter. Blood goes in and urine out

3)no problem. I won't type infection anymore. :)

Man, you are tough...phew

Expand on that- HIV? WHAT OTHER INFECTIONS ( name them please are could be causing this and how would one potentially get these infections?)Again if PH is acidic you say ( why say it's WNL ON CHART? And if ph - Normal and as orbit acid is highest level it can be 4++ how do we have a normal ph but super elevated ascot of acid if you say they are the same?

With all due respect I already listed many infections. Go back and review the post

To understand the ph you must understand that PH less than 7 is acidic. So a ph of 5 is normal for urine but it is also acidic.

I appreciate you think I'm tough- but if answered properly-So again
pH-5 acidic because we know 7- neutral???? Above is base?????Don't tell me what I didn't ask:))As orbit acid very high!!!! But oh 5- acidic and WNL!So how can that be ? They can't be the same thing and one super elevated and one is normal?If so then please EXPLAIN THAT!!!!!

You're gonna have to trust me on that one. PH 5 is acidic and normal for urine so it is reading normal.

Ascorbic acid is measuring acid and it is elevated because there is acid. it is two different ways of measuring acid

I don't know any other way to explain it

1-4th grade science you are teaching on the sorts? Ok so I appreciate you stayed around to TRY AND WEAVE WAY AROUND MY QUESTIONS - forgive me !!!!!! I just wanted real answered!!!! And still ph5 ( everyone with any education knows 7 neutral below is acidic and above is base,.....As orbit acid is 4++ super elevated ( why is that not bornal but a ph of 5- already established is acidic _ WNL?What's the difference between these two - I sure hope you do see there is one - I don't understand what's the difference ?

You're gonna have to trust me that they are reading the same thing

Two ways of measuring ( acid -= measuring the SAME THING? Yes or no?

yes

How can one PH- acid and Be WNL..yet the other tool asCorbic acid - used to measure ' same thing' you said is totally out of range super high 4++THEY CANT BE MEASURING THE SAME THING????? Can they???? You want to alter your answer - because on any topic that sounds very very incoherent

No, let's move on

I use a measuring cup to measure 4oz of sugar and then I use another cup that is 4pzin height MASS- and I get 40z of sugar?????In this scenario two different rolls to E aside same thing- if getting what you say same results why IS PH-5 acidic normal and ASCORBIC ACID - you say is acidic measuring the acid...? THATS HIGHEST OF THE ABNORMAL LEVELS???????

Like I said, you will have to trust me that they are both measuring the same thing in different ways.

We can move on from this. I don't think it is necessary to discuss it any further.

You stated PH and as orbit acid measuring the same thing?
Why bother having 2 tests if measure same thing?Also measuring same thing- how is one WNL
AND THE OTHER SUPER ELEVATED AND MEASURED THE SAME urine sample?????

do you have any other questions?

Even if I did trust you ( and trust is well - not why intelligent people ask questions)
Ok measuring same thing? Why have 2 tests measuring same thing? How could one be WNL and other super high 4++???? Just answer this one and then I won't bother you but please answer it properly!!! Thanks so much

Alright. I will make you a deal. I will answer it if you provide a positive rating for me. You have my word.

I think I deserve a positive rating anyways after this!

you can't answer even that question.....Idea to ponder why two tests ph= as orbit acidWhy not have two tests to measure protein?Why two tests

I can try to explain it further but I would like to be sure I am credited for my work. I think that is fair

Otherwise you are very nice and I appreciate the time on your end but I don't appreciate on mine - so I'd say - maybe 1/2 of 2 questions were answered in 4 hours -MAYBE I SHOULD BE THE ONE SUPPLYING RESPONSES TO THE QUESTIONS????? What do you think? Good at question? Think I could answer these efficiently and timely? Or should I just stick to questions and TRUST whoever tells me whatever they tell me ???????

You could apply to be an expert

But I'm not sure if you would win any customer service awards. Only kidding. Haha

let me know if you need more help. If not, please don't forget a positive rating for me

Haha you should hear me speak and ask questions to the 'gatekeepers' at medical insurance companies

Oh man....I feel sorry for them!!!! :(

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

if you have more questions, just reply

You were so kind to spend the time - I'm actually nervous and I read that leukocyte a can be groom STD - I'm super careful but
It listed
Chlamidia?
Honor he's - what is that? Would I feel pain? Does it kill?
Herpes??? I never was told I had that and omg could that be ?I'm just scared cause isn't have pain done the test over and over protein blood ascorbic acid leukocyte a and SGAre those disease and curable? Is that the only way I'd have leukocyte a? I don't feel pain? I need to know !!!!!
Of course you tell me how to rate you positively I will ( I appreciate your commitment ) please tell me about STDs and why leukocyte a are high if I have no pain can't be UTI so STD????? I'm so not the person to get that but omg what if?Tell what each are and if curable before I go to my doctor I will be so emabarassdd - he's amazing! But omg people there don't have STD ( it's not like that) so please please tell me and is there any other possibility? And what symptoms would I have if it was STD?

herpes-no chance of this. It causes painful blisters. no way without symptoms

chlamydia-possible. Yes. some women have very mild or no symptoms with it. This should be tested

Omg thank you for ruling out one !
Chlamidia - possible ? Ok
what about the other things I saw listed GONORHEA ( not sure how spell it ) would that have symptoms ? What is that? And I can't go to the doctor till I know all possibilities of why leukocyte is high?

Gonorrhea would have symptoms too. It is a bacterial infection. You don't have that.

Chlamydia is easily treatable with antibiotics

I think we have covered all possibilities.

pLease don't forget a positive rating for me. I appreciate it

you stated you were trying to rate. how about here?

Try this