Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If I had sex 23 years ago, no symptoms of hiv to date. Have…

Customer Question
If I had sex 23...
If I had sex 23 years ago, no symptoms of hiv to date. Have not had antibiotics even in that time. Never taken a test but is it possible to have it and not know given the long time period.
Recent Cbc shows high wbc, strong platelets.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/2/2016
Doctor: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How old are you?

Male/female?

What kind of sex?

Do you have any symptoms?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

HiI'm a 38 year old female, and was in a relationship with a male. No symptoms, I've never had infections or in fact since we parted been particularly ill other than a cold every other year. No other meds or problems. Reason for question is that am pregnant and have to take a his test and I'd like to know what the chances are that I may get a shock. To my knowledge he's in a new relationship, happy etc - certainly still alive.

Thank you for that additional information.

From what you have posted I would say that your chances of having caught HIV 23 years ago is about zero.....

You, truly, have nothing to worry about.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

And congrats on the upcoming addition to your family :)

My oldest daughter just gave birth to our second grandson last night...

Congratulations on your new grandbaby. Thanks for your response. I've been using google a bit too much and there are stories of people whom have the virus but no symptoms for many years. Pregnancy brings its own set of worries so I wanted to get more info. Do you think if I had it, it would have shown before now? I'm unclear how long the period of time is you would be aware of it, some people say 10 years others up to 25.

Thanks. He is 6lbs 7.2Oz. Both mother and child are healthy and doing fine.

Do not listen to what people -- or the Evil Dr. Google -- have to say.

You had a better chance of winning the recent one billion dollar Powerball Jackpot than you have of unknowingly harboring the HIV virus in your body for these past few decades.

So. What should you do?

Put these fears behind you....

And, in any event, your mandatory HIV testing will make all this worry moot very soon.

So. In the immortal words of Bobby McFarrin:

Don't Worry. Be Happy :)

Make sense?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS