Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a small lump on either arm (upper, near the tricep)

Customer Question
which feels a little like...
I have a small lump on either arm (upper, near the tricep) which feels a little like gristle but when I squeeze it it appears to have a more stringy texture a bit like a collection of strands joined together.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/1/2016
Doctor: Dr.Amita, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor

Hello

I am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you today.

You are probably feeling the insertion of deltoid mucle into humerus bone.

Please see the image corresponding to deltoid tuberosity in the link below and tell me if it is the same location.

http://at.uwa.edu/currhome/ah321/palbarm.asp

Hi, it is not that, it is actually on the underneath/back of the arm, but it is not part of the muscle, it appears to be connected to the skin. The one on my left arm is barely visible but the one on the right is. Please see the attached photo

This is not deltoid tuberosity.

These are likely to be benign soft tissue growths arising from skin or subcutaneous tissue.Some of the common ones are epidermoid cysts, lipomas and neurofibromas.

You may need FNAC that is fine needle aspiration cytology to determine the nature of these soft tissue lumps.In this test a fine needle is used to aspirate fluid from the lump which is examined under a microscope to look at the cells aspirated in the fluid.These cells give an idea about the nature of the lump.

Thank you for your help

Thanks