Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have low wbc and high rbc what does this mean

Customer Question

i have low wbc and high rbc what does this mean
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Was the blood test done to evaluate specific symptoms or as a screening test?

Do you have the actually values of the blood counts?

Do you also have the differential of the WBC?

If you can attach the full report, that would be easier.

Do you have any chronic medical problems?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

When we see a low WBC and a high RBC, it is very possible that this is still normal, because results that are close tot he normal range are still normal. The exact values and the remaining results of the complete blood count would suggest whether these are normal.

If both are of such severity that they are truly abnormal and this is a new discovery, the most common cause would be a viral infection. There are many infections that can cause a low WBC, but a viral infection is statistically far more common. A viral infection also can affect fluid status, and a mild decrease in fluid status can cause the RBC to be elevated.

There are many other possible causes, but a realistic discussion of the causes of a low WBC can only be done with knowledge of which type of WBC is low, which is why I ask for the differential.

If you can provide the additional information, then I will be glad to comment further.