Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a chest infection or flu for the past 2 weeks. I went

Customer Question

I have a chest infection or flu for the past 2 weeks. I went to urgent care and they said it could be inflamed bronchial tubes as it was very painful breathing for a while.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I first got sick --- I had walked in a cold wind -- that went down my throat in the evening. Next morning had intense pain in my throat especially when lying down. After a couple of days it moved to my left chest. That's when I went to urgent care. They said it could be costochondritis I have been taking only 2 Advil a day for the pain. I finally got tired taking the Advil with no real result So I took a hydrocodone I had left over from a tooth surgery. This took away the intense pain on breathing finally and it did not come back. It is just still a little hard to breath. But I still feel like I have the flu -- and it has been 2 weeks already Not as bad as it was of course. Just fatigue and wake up with a slight headache have a hard time breathing and sleeping at night.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

thank you for the question

you need to see a lung doctor or your primary care doctor and get a chest xray or chest CT scan to check for infection in your pleural cavity or pleuristy which can cause pain in your chest.

you need to be under a doctors care if you are taking hydrocodone.

you might have the flu

you might need blood test to check for influenza flu infection which can be helped with tamiflu antiviral therapy.

if you have a pneumonia in your lungs, this can be seen on chest xray, and you might need a course of antibiotics to help clear it up.

do you have an ER or urgent care center where you can go to see a doctor and get some testing?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have any other questions?