How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64393
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On December 7th, I walked into the corner of a counter. It t

Customer Question

On December 7th, I walked into the corner of a counter. It hit me right on the left rib cage. I have been experiencing pain and discomfort under my left rib cage since then, It has been 2 months now. My rib cage is tender to tough. It hurts under my left rib cage when I lie down and try to roll over on either side. It hurts when I laugh.
I had an X-Ray on December 31st and nothing showed abnormal. I also had an abdominal ultrasound and nothing showed abnormal.
What could this be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Normal xrays and ultrasound suggest you have muscle injury.

Muscle injury will not show up.

But will continue to cause symptoms as healing is slow.

These muscles are constantly being used for respiratory efforts.

You can continue with anti inflammatory treatment.

Ibuprofen 800 mg 3 times daily with food should help.

Stronger pain medications also can be used as needed.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


This is a different expert.

See a physician about this pain.

Specifically, an orthopedist, or a physical medicine , MD specialist.

First: cracked ribs do not always show up on an x ray if not done correctly, or if minor.

Second, ligment, muscle and nerve injury is possible in this area, and the correct physical therapy can vastly accelerate healing.

You do not want to have long standing pain from this injury, and PT can make sure that you restretch muscles as needed.

We do not replace a doctors visit, and we do not tell you what threatment to do on your own: we do not replace your doctor.

I am a double board certified US doctor with over 20 years experience with this type of problem.

Find me in medical by request any day of the week.

Please click a positive on my answer page here: that is how we are paid.

Let me know after that if you have further questions.

Additional information: I can go over the best, ***** ***** therapies for this problem. If you would like to do that, after rating me here, find me in the medical category by request. Use a long request lock and "for Dr. Thomas only" in the title.