Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother-in-law is currently on meds for a severe case of…

Customer Question
my mother-in-law is currently on...
my mother-in-law is currently on meds for a severe case of diverticulitis. She's on her second round of Ciprofloxacin 500mg and Metronidazole 500mg. She's finding that her stool is black like tar & she's very tired. Is this normal for these medications? Should or can she wean herself off of one or both to lessen this symptom? Her dr is not available to answer these questions until Monday. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/29/2016
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Thank you for your question.

Black stool is something that must always be taken seriously as it may represent bleeding from the upper part of the intestine i.e. either from the stomach or esophagus or the duodenum.

This is something that MUST be evaluated in the ER ASAP.

This is most likely not something related to medications.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.

Kindest regards