Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I got into the habit of eating sunflower seeds daliy. I

Customer Question
I got into the...

I got into the habit of eating sunflower seeds daliy. I split the shell, extract the seed and the suck on the shell halves for the flavor. It often caused some irritation to the tongue from the sharoso I stop and then resume when the tongue felt better. Now the tip of my tongue is bumpy with white spots. Can sunflower seeds be a source of Leukoplakia which I appear to have?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I got into the habit of eating sunflower seeds daily. I split the shell, extract the seed and the suck on the shell halves for the flavor. It often caused some irritation to the tongue from the sharp seed halves so I stop and then resume when the tongue felt better. Now the tip of my tongue is bumpy with white spots. Can sunflower seeds be a source of Leukoplakia which I appear to have?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/29/2016
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. No not at all. Sunflower can't cause leukoplakia. What you have is very much consistent with fungal infection of the tongue. Your tongue symptoms got better and this itself means that there was nether any precancerous nor any cancerous condition behind your symptoms. Don't worry, I being ENT specialist will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations doing gargles with diluted white vinegar twice daily for 2 weeks can really help you. If symptoms persist after that, see your doctor and he may prescribe some anti fungal drops and you are going to be alright after that. I reassure you that there is nothing serious and you are going to be alright. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor