Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

10 days ago, I had a suspected dvt and went to get it

Customer Question
10 days ago, I...

10 days ago, I had a suspected dvt and went to get it evaluated further i had acupuncture treatment done and one of the needles really hurt my left leg. I am also on birth control, Minastrin 24 fe. I felt a muscle soreness sensation immediately following the acupuncture, and the pain has been on and off ever since. The clinic I visited performed a d-dimer test which was slightly elevated, at 276. They did an ultrasound and chest cta scan. they both came back normal.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/29/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Chest CTA and doppler ultrasound are very sensitive to detect any blood clot.

Hence you do not have any blood clot.

Slightly elevated d dimer can be due to the any other inflammation in the body --like even lung infection.

The soreness of the muscles is likely from needle pricking nothing else.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Doctor: Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor

Thank you for requesting my service, If only D dimers are raised and all other tests including CTA are normal then you should not worry, these do not seem to be sinister . you should only get a repeat D dimer after 72 hours of the first test to see if the levels are going down or not. IF they are going down then no need to worry. Let me know if you have questions, thank you.

Hi there,

I thank the other expert for agreeing with me.

I did not see any reply from you yet.

Do you have any further question?