Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter feels like she has thick mucus stuck in her

Customer Question
throat and she's having a...
my daughter feels like she has thick mucus stuck in her throat and she's having a very difficult coughing it up. She takes meds in the morning. Could a pill be trapped in the mucus or could it be just really thick mucus. I told her to eat some bread to see if it force it down. That didn't work. What can we do to loosen this up?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/29/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

If she is describing this as a sensation of mucus, it would be very unlikely that there could be a pill caught in the mucus. A pill or solid food would typically fell different and is described as a solid object stuck in the throat.

For thick mucus stuck in the throat, there are several interventions that may help. There are cough medicines that contain guaifenesin, a medicine that helps to thin the mucus to make it easier to clear from the chest or throat. A decongestant also sometimes can help, although decongestants are usually better for congestion in the head that drains into the throat, and there are cough syrups that contain guaifenesin and a decongestant. All of these are available over the counter.

It also can help to breath hot moist air into the throat and chest. This can be done by taking a very hot shower, although breathing hot steam from a pot or bowl is more portable and can be easier to repeat frequently.

There also are some prescription medicines that can be used in someone with severe mucus by relieving inflammation in the throat and chest, most often by inhaled steroids. However, it would be necessary for her to see her doctor to be able to obtain such medicines.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if a can provide any further assistance.

If I can help you with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/