How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 45952
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My right ear has been hurting the past few days and getting

Customer Question

My right ear has been hurting the past few days and getting worse.
If I sleep on it at night it's very tender.
I'm guessing it's an infection. First I thought it as water in there, but it's been too long.
Very tender to touch the outside where the little cartilage is.
I have some antibiotics 'ciprofloxacin' (never used. Not expired) and not sure if I should take these.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

this could still be an external auditory canal ear infection

this would need you to see a doctor to look in your ear to confirm

and also you need cipro ear drops, not oral cipro pills

I would not start to treat yourself with antibiotics without seeing a doctor first.

do you have an ER or urgent care center where you can see a doctor who can look in your ear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually one last question.

If I don't get to see a doctor, will it heal on its own?

Is swimming in the ocean bad?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

it hasn't healed up on its own so far

it doesn't sound like it will get better on its own if you are having ear cartilage pain.

swimming in the ocean is not bad

but if you get water in your ear, the bacteria in your ear canal can cause a bacterial external ear infection when water is trapped in your ear canal.

that sounds like what has happened.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, you need prescription antibiotic ear drops to clear this infection.

please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using