Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is a supra-pubic tap?

Customer Question
What is a supra-pubic tap?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/28/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

when you get older, your prostate gland gets larger and larger

if it gets too large, it can block the flow of urine from the bladder to the penis.

there are ways to try to help shrink your prostate with medications (like proscar, or avodart), or medications which try to help relax your bladder neck muscles to help you urinate easier (flomax, hytrin, rapaflo)

there are surgical procedures which try to open up a larger path for urine to flow through your prostate (TURP)

it sounds like you have tried all of these methods.

the last method is a tub or catheter which is cut into you above your pubic bone into your bladder so your urine can come out of your lower abdomen into a tube into a leg bag and this basically bipasses or detours around your prostate as a way to get the urine out.

that is what a suprapubic catheter or tap is

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com