Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 63 and weigh 360. i work full time - but after i sit…

Customer Question
I am 63 and...

I am 63 and weigh 360. i work full time - but after i sit for a while and then go to stand up my knees are stiff and hurt. after i walk awhile it is o.k. anything i can do prior to standing to help?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/27/2016
Doctor: Ken, Postgraduate doctor replied 2 years ago
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have associated symptoms like swelling or redness at the knees? were any investigations obtained to look for the cause?

Doctor: Dr.Amita, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor

Hello

I am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you with your concerns today.

The startup pain on walking after sitting for some time indicate early osteoarthritis of the knee.It is condition where degenerative changes start occurring in the knee including changes in the cartilage and in lubricating fluid of the knee joint.

Best would be start a program of quadriceps muscle strengthening and flexibility exercises of the knee under a supervision of a physiotherapist along with use of supplements like glucosamine to be taken in dose of 1500mg per day.Stationery cycling is also a very good exercise for the condition.

This is the initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification.

Doctor: Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered. replied 2 years ago
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.

Hello Larry,

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced Physician attending you.

The pain in Osteoarthritis should be relieved by gradual process.

These help you to decrease the stiffness and pain.

1. Don't sit knees cross folded. Avoid steps

2. Stretching and Physical therapy helps. Find a right Physical Therapist.

3. Swimming and Cycling helps

4. Warm compresses and Cold compresses alternatively can ease the stiffness

5. Use NSAIDs and topical pain killer ointments when needed

6. Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulphate supplements help!

7. Cushoining shoe inserts can lessen the stress on knee

8. Elastic knee braces are the best choice.

9. Target on healthy diet and weight loss.

10. Periodic rest is mandatory.

I’m glad I helped you today. If done for now, please leave a positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com