Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there a way other than blood work to get a general idea…

Customer Question
Is there a way other...
Is there a way other than blood work to get a general idea of if my potassium is too low or too high? I've been trying to manage it. It was at 3.5 on Saturday and I had a couple of bananas and some coconut water and my diuretic. Now I'm having weird symptoms again even though I've continued eating potassium and drinking it, but I dont know if it's because I'm too high or too low? The symptoms seem the same.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/25/2016
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Thanks for this question

I'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to help

what symptoms are you having?

Tingling face tiredness little chest pains (I've already had a full cardiac work up and everything is fine, it's related to my potassium), slight headache, tiredness.

That could be low potassium

make sure magnesium was checked

you can't get potassium up without getting mag up first

They didn't check my magnesium

that needs done

Never mind they did it was 1.7 normal range
Is there any chance my level is too high of potassium? I've just had one banana and one coconut water a day, about 1,000mg of potassium and I've still been taking my diuretic? It's likely too low?

No, that is not possible

it could still be low though

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

If you have more questions, just reply