Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I am 36 years old and have gerd caused by a hiatal hernia. I

Customer Question

Hello. I am 36 years old and have gerd caused by a hiatal hernia. I am taking nexium and have been now for about 3 years. I take 60 mg and it keeps everything under control for the most part. My question is sometimes I get gas pain in my back...I know it sounds weird but is this normal? The pain is usually little pinchy pains followed by deep gasbubbly burps. Sometimes I get this on and off for days at a time. Just wondering if there is anything to prevent it or ease it up besides tums. Thank you!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question.

I'm Dr Phil and I'm ready to help

This is pretty normal. yes.

The gas pain can cause referred pain to the back.

I would recommend taking simethicone. You can get it OTC. It is also known as gas-X.

It really does a nice job cutting back the gas.