Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Doctor my mother is experiencing ver y severo abdominal

Customer Question

Doctor my mother is experiencing ver y severo abdominal paíin diharrea . I grave Her some rea bus the patín has nos clases in 2 hora what can i do ¿.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If this is of short duration, the most common cause of abdominal pain and diarrhea is a viral infection of the gut, although there are other possible causes. If medicines to ease the symptoms are effective, then it would be OK to give it some time to see if the problem resolve spontaneously. If she is having diarrhea associated with crampy abdominal pain, then taking a stronger medicine for the diarrhea may be able to ease both symptoms. Imodium is a good medicine that is available over the counter. It is also fine to take acetaminophen to help ease the pain. It also would be reasonable to avoid solid food and concentrate on clear liquids.

If the pain persists despite these home interventions, then it would be appropriate to be seen. The severity of the pain would guide how quickly she should be seen. If the pain continues to be very severe despite the home interventions, it would be better for her to be seen quickly. If the home interventions help partially, but moderate pain persists, it would be appropriate for her to be seen after a few days.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time

You are most welcome.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.