Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A family member is a psychotic break (this have not occurred…

Customer Question
A family member is a...
A family member is a psychotic break (this have not occurred in the past) and we believe it might be related to an adverse reaction to medication, if we can get a hold of the doctor who prescribed the medication, what can they do to get them to medical attention (this member, won't allow us to take her to the hospital)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/24/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

If a family member has a psychotic break ( meaning that they can't distinguish reality from the non-real in some sense ) then you are justified to call 911.... The emergency operator would probably dispatch both police and an ambulance . The person NEEDS medical attention ASAP and they in a confused state represent a danger to themselves and others ....

I realize it may seem harsh but that is the RIGHT thing to do in that situation.

They could have a medical condition that caused a state of delirium as a possible cause... Yes a side effect is a potential but not common...

Help the situation to do everything that you can to get person and their meds and any medical history details would be helpful...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

In oregon, the police won't get involved unless she is violent or suicidal which thus far she is not. But she is clearly in crisis

Hello again,

Ok I see...

Can you give some detail as to her symptoms? Why do you say that she is in psychotic break? Can you describe what signs she exibits ?

If she is confused then she does need medical evaluation of the situation ....it would be best of course if she is willing to go...I understand some states would not force a person to medical care unless suicidal or homicidal....it can be difficult situation

You might call 911 and explain situation to the dispatch operator ...they may be helpful to assist your options ....

It could be that an ambulance might be dispatched and paramedics might be able to asses the situation

Sometimes people whom otherwise refuse care may be convinced if right medical personel may help persuade the person....

Let me know as I mentioned what details that you can...

I think that evaluation would be Best from what you describe but may not be feasible .....

Let me know and I will get back with you

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor