Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a new doctor and he ran a test I never had. I have an…

Customer Question
I have a new doctor...
I have a new doctor and he ran a test I never had. I have an auto immune disease and they also suspect Sjogens. My Anion Gap was 3 with a range of 5-15. Not sure what this means.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/23/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Low anion gap is most commonly a lab error.

Other causes include high calcium, potassium or magnesium levels.

IgG multiple myeloma or polyclonal gammopathies 9 due to the increase abnormal serum proteins) can also cause low anion gap rarely.

This is checked by the serum and urine protein electropheresis.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/