Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been tested for Vertigo but I was told that is not…

Customer Question
I have been tested for...
I have been tested for Vertigo but I was told that is not what I have. My right ear itches, I am losing some of the hear in the right ear. Some time if I eat chocolate or something spicy, it cause shooting sensation in the ear and then it is like a drainage come from the ear down the throat and chokes me, some time it takes about a min. or 2 to breath and not feel like some one has pored sand in my ear and it is going from the ear to the throat and then the terrible coughing. can you give me some advice
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/23/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you have dysfunction of your facial and trigeminal nerve.

you need to consult with a neurologist and get a brain and facial MRI scan

a neurologist and do neurological testing and nerve testing to see if your nerves are functioning properly, but from your symptoms

it doesn't sound like your facial and trigeminal nerves are not working properly.

you might benefit from nerve pain medications like neurotin or lyrica or tegretol which could help

if you have excessive anxiety symptoms, this could cause you to have tight throat and coughing symptoms.

you might benefit from a barium swallow study to check your swallowing function.

that is good you have seen an ENT doctor already.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

This is a different expert [Dr. Thomas] and I have a different answer for you.

I believe what you are experiencing is acid reflux.

This is why it happens in relation to spicy food.

Your symptoms and their intermittent nature do not indicate a trigeminal nerve problem. A trigeminal nerve problem give pain, and usually not in the distribution from the ear to the throat, and not in relation to spicy food.

I don't think this is from anxiety and I don't think it is neurological. I can understand, however, how a non diagnosis for such symptoms would make you concerned and upset.

Your doctors have not found this to be neurological or ear related, but acid reflux throat and ear symptoms are often missed. However, they can cause these as the ONLY symptoms.

I am a double board certified US doctor, Dr. Thomas.

Find me any time for correct answers.

Please click a positive here, on my post.

This is Dr. David

you could be having bad post nasal drip from severe sinusitis inflammation of your sinuses.

this can cause you to have drainage sensation of fluid down the back of your throat and this can bother your eats and cause cough and gagging sensation.

do you have sinus congestion or runny nose or signs of chronic sinusitis?