Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Trish. I have a 12 year old daughter that is experiencing…

Customer Question
Trish. I have a...

Trish. I have a 12 year old daughter that is experiencing earaches bilaterally. She started last weekend with an upset stomach, vomiting and has had a bit of a temp 101.5 off and on. Now her ears and throat are bothering her. Her left ear is red. I took her to urgent care on Wednesday night and they ran a strep, which was negative. Now, she is crying with pain. I have given her ibuprofen, hot compresses, decongestant and her nasonex. Nothing is helping. Ideas?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have a 12 year old daughter that is experiencing earaches bilaterally. She started last weekend with an upset stomach, vomiting and has had a bit of a temp 101.5 off and on. Now her ears and throat are bothering her. Her left ear is red. I took her to urgent care on Wednesday night and they ran a strep, which was negative. Now, she is crying with pain. I have given her ibuprofen, hot compresses, decongestant and her nasonex. Nothing is helping. Ideas?Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/9hy18-down-respiratory-infection.html#ixzz3y2pty4UR

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/23/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello again.

When you say that her ears are red, I assume that you mean the part of the ear that is visible to you.

When she was seen in Urgent Care, did the doctor look at the eardrum and say whether the eardrum was red or not?

Can you see whether there is swelling or redness in the ear canal?

Can she pop her ears?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

There are several considerations in this situation.

Since the Strep test was negative, the primary infection and sore throat would be related to a viral infection.For the sore throat, it can help to use throat lozenges to sooth or throat sprays to numb the throat.

The ear pain is a bit more complicated. The most common cause of ear pain associated with a viral infection is an infection of the middle ear, an otitis media. However, an otitis media typically would not cause redness that is visible to someone looking at the ear. The eardrum is usually red, but it usually requires a specific tool to be able to see the eardrum. If she is unable to pop her ears or there is pain or discomfort with popping her ear, that would support that the ear pain is from an otitis media. For ear pain from an otitis media, ibuprofen is usually sufficient, but when the ear pain is not relieved, then alternating between doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen may do better. It also may help to perform Eustachian tube exercises, such as chewing gum or forced swallowing.

The other common cause of ear pain would be an infection of the ear canal, called otitis externa. This type of infection is typically not associated with a viral infection, but it would commonly cause visible redness of the ear. If the redness also involves the ear canal or there is visible swelling in the ear canal, that would support that this may be an otitis externa. For an otitis externa, prescription antibiotics is usually necessary, by ear drops or pills, but there are some home ear drops that can be used that may be helpful. You can mix 2 parts rubbing alcohol with 1 part white vinegar and place a few drops into the ear several times per day.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.