Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

, I have a feeling of weakness & bad pain when I stand

Customer Question

Customer: Hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm Arnetta I have a feeling of weakness & bad pain when I stand up & try to put any weight on my right leg. The pain is centered in the knee area but feels like a nerve or something similar. I don';t have this problem during the night or upon waking from laying down - just from trying to stand up. Nothing hurts while sitting & after awhile the pain goes away as I move my leg, foot & knee & try to walk. I do have problems with my knees but this is something new that has started in the last 10 days .. can hardly walk now or get up .. it's so painful
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Indeed this is different from knee issue.

THis is lkely due to the nerve compression at the lower supplying the knee and lower leg.

So Lumbar radiculopathy is the likely cause.

Herniated disc, spine arthritis are such causes.
You can try over the counter Ibuprofen ( Advil) 2-3 tablets with food every 8 hours for pain control.
Also Warm compress and ice pack will help.
Please consider physical therapy as that will help to strengthen the back muscles and also traction to release pressure on the nerves.
Prescription medications Ketorolac, Gabapentin, Nortriptyline, Baclofen can be tried.
Please go to this link for lower back exercises:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00302&webid=26DBE25F

But first see your doctor for a clinical evaluation as well.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/