Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Earlier this evening My abdomen suddenly became bloated

Customer Question
along with very bad right...
Earlier this evening My abdomen suddenly became bloated along with very bad right side pain in my upper right. Some of the pain has subsided a bit, but my stomach feels like it's going to explode, still having constant pain on the right
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
How long should I wait before going to Doctor? Also, I do not have my appendix.
1/22/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

It certainly could be gas causing these symptoms, but there are several other problems that can cause such symptoms that also should be considered.

It could be due to an acid irritation syndrome, such as gastritis or an ulcer. The Rolaids may also help with an acid irritation syndrome, as it has both an antacid and an anti-gas component. However, all oral antacids are not as strong as medicines that suppress stomach acid, such as ranitidine/Zantac or omeprazole/Prilosec, both of which are available over the counter.

The other major concern, though, is from gallbladder disease. If there is more significant right upper abdominal pain or tenderness along the edge of the ribs on the right side, then there is more concern that it may be gallbladder disease.

As a general rule, the timing of being seen is largely determined by the severity of pain or tenderness. Bloating warrants treatment, but is generally not a reason to be seen quickly if there is no associated pain. If the pain or tenderness is more severe, it would be appropriate to be seen emergently. However, since the pain has subsided a bit, it is reasonable to try more aggressive treatment at home with a stronger medicine for acid to see if the symptoms can be further relieved. It is fine to continue the Rolaids with the stronger medicine for acid suppression. If the pain remains at a moderate severity despite taking these medicines for a couple days, then it would be appropriate to be seen at that point. If the pain and tenderness is mild, then it would be fine to try the over the counter medicines for a week or so to see if they can help, and see your doctor if there is no improvement.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

the pain is at the rib cage, had a real severe "attack" earlier, now just a constant pain at the ribs and in the back.

Pain at the ribs could be either from gallbladder disease or still from an acid irritation syndrome, and both can cause radiation of the pain to the back. Since it has eased somewhat, it would be OK to try a stronger medicine for relief of stomach acid. If the pain becomes severe again despite these medicine, then it would be appropriate to be seen emergently. Or if the constant pain that you are now experiencing is not improving with a couple days of these medicines, then it would be appropriate to be seen at that point.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor