How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64410
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Patient is over 80 years old .In x ray report it was

Customer Question

patient is over 80 years old .In x ray report it was written " a moderately large right pleural effusion has increased in size since prior with opacification of the right meddle and lower lobe .There is also nodular pleural thickening at the peripher of the right upper lobe. asmall left pleural effusion is seen at the the costophrenic angle. Mild vascular congestion is seen without interstitial or alveolar edema" Please suggest treatment and patient is taking 20 mg lasix and other heart medicines
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

with more pleural effusion, this can be a sign of congestive heart failure when too much fluid backs up in the lung

you need to talk his doctors about increasing the dose of lasix to help get rid of fluid out of the lungs.

he might need a chest CT scan which an tell more about the pleural nodular thickening.

if he is coughing, he could have a pneumonia and might need a course of antibiotic to help clear up the pneumonia.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


The definitive help to diagnose an effusion, and distinguish between a transudate and an exudate, and thus help distinguish infection from heart disease, is a throacentesis, for diagnostic and sometimes therapeutic purposes.

This fluid drawn from the thoracic space is sent to the lab for analysis.

One can keep guessing and treating, but this has already happened, and it is time for a proper diagnosis.

Any good internal medicine doctor, or pulmonologist can do this, which would involve a brief stay in observation in the hospital.

Talk to his doctors about this possibility.

I am a double board certified US doctor [internal medicine and integrative medicine]. Please click a positive rating so that Dr. Thomas [this screen, see top] gets paid.

Find me anytime by request. I am here daily in medical to give correct, precise and comprehensive answers.

I will also respond promptly.