Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My son has genital herpes, he's 33, I've been reading alot

Customer Question
my son has genital herpes...
my son has genital herpes, he's 33 , I've been reading alot of the genital herpes virus. I read that to reverse herpes, as well as defend against its return, a healthy immune system is vital. Echinacea, vitamin c, and zinc are some of the nutrients to help build healthy immunity. Plus they said to take ASTRAGALUS at night
>another think they said to take is LYSINE. Do you have a doctor that specialize in Genital herpes. I need to know how much dosage of the vitamin he can take.and which one are the best to take. If i have another question can i sent you another email or i have to pay again
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
1/21/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

there is a lot of controversy about how to best improve the immune system. there are no good research trials to study what are the best ways to improve the immune system

really the best way to improve the immune system is to exercise regularly, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water, avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, and getting regular and plenty of sleep.

Astragalus is considered safe for most adults although its side effects are not known. the NMCD review concluded that doses greater than 28 grams might limit the activity of the immune system. I would not take more than 28 grams a day.

you need about 1 gram of L-lysine (amino acid) per day, according to NYU Langone Medical Center, but people who eat protein-rich diets tend to get enough without supplementation. you can get L-lysine through fish or egg whites.

Zinc has two standard dosages. The low dosage is 5-10mg, while the high dosage is 25-45mg. The low dose works well as a daily preventative, while the high dosage should be taken by anyone at risk for a zinc deficiency. I would take the low dose daily.

Vitamin C is best obtained through natural fruits and vegetables, like eating an orange a day.

men more than 18 years old should take about 90 milligrams of vitamin C daily. many vitamins and regimens recommend more which is not harmful. the body excretes excessive vitamin C out in your urine what you don't need.

To improve exercise performance and boost immune syste, five of the 400 milligram doses of echinacea have been taken by mouth four times daily for 28 days. that is 8000mg a day.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician