How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Chaithanya Your Own Question
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 798
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Chaithanya is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In October of 2015 my brother in-law was knocked off of a

Customer Question

In October of 2015 my brother in-law was knocked off of a ladder by a piece of equipment that broke free from its safety rope. He fell 6 feet off the ladder, hit the ground and feel another 9 feet into an equipment well. He sustained various broken bones but the major injury was to his brain. It’s been 3 months and his recovery is going great. He is able to dress himself, do all of his normal daily hygiene and prepare his own food. His short term memory is the only thing that is suffering but it is returning. He has no physical disabilities.
The problem that my wife and I are having is that he is currently in an in patient rehabilitation center 9 hours away from his friends and family. The center is filled with people that are in 90% worse shape than he is. His wife is keeping him in the center against his will and is not allowing him to have a phone or contact with any of his friends. She’s telling us that the doctors are requiring this isolation for his recovery. He is aware enough to voice his opinion about being there and tells us that he feels that he can heel at home and get out patient therapy but his wife disagrees and insists that he stay in this nursing home type environment. He is lucid, aware and physically able to make adult decisions but clearly cannot return to work, drive or make major business or investment decisions.
We understand that he will need help recovering but forcing him to stay in a facility against his will seem unethical and illegal. We need help to figure out what his rights are and what role we play making sure that he’s heard is.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that he lives in NV but is in rehab at CNS in Bakersfield CA.
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.


I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced General Physician attending you today.

I completely understand his situation and feel sorry for him.

Did you fin out from the rehabilitation centre [from the staff] that what treatment he is being given on daily basis?

Sometimes, the environment he is recovering really matters, it can help or it make the situation worse. You need to find out what exactly is his treatment and rehabilitation regimen that is going on for him on a daily basis, and then you consult a neurologist or a doctor who treated him to take an opinion about if rehabilitation regimen is helping him or making his situation bad.

A Psychiatrist help also helps, as the patient might experience mild depression in the scenario you explained.

Any doubts, please ask me,

I’m glad I helped you today. If done for now, please leave positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

A little bonus from your side is highly appreciated!

Thanks for using

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Professional didn't really address my issues.
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

The best thing will be to consult a neurologist who is treating him, or another neurologist if you want to take the second opinion, so that he will do assessing the improvement of the patient based on some neurological tests, and can listen to patient problems. He can declare if he needs rehabilitation as an inpatient or out patient.

Request to leave a positive rating, only then I will be compensated for the answer.

Any bonus is appreciated!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do understand what you're saying but maybe my question should have been posted to a legal professional which is why I tried to re-post this question. Thank you for your efforts but I have no more knowledge about my issue than I had before asking the question. My fault, I should have posted this in legal. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I answered as a doctor in medical perspective. Yes the question is posted in dical category. As it has been answered, can I request to leave a positive rating (click on the 5th star). I appreciate that.,only then just answer compensates for my time.