Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

The pain on the top of my feet is terrible. When I get up in…

Customer Question
The pain on the top...
The pain on the top of my feet is terrible. When I get up in the morning, I can barely put pressure on them. Also, when I bend down to pick something up, I have trouble getting back up from the pain. What is causing these symptoms, and what can be done to alleviate them?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/19/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This is due to the muscle cramping after overnight rest.

Inflammation from long walking or standing can cause muscle stiffness after rest.

Effective treatments include the following:

Rest — Limiting athletic activities and getting extra rest can help to reduce symptoms. Excessive and repetitive heel impact from jumping, walking, and use of a trampoline should be avoided. A complete lack of physical activity, though, can lead to stiffening and a return of pain, and is not recommended.

Icing — Applying ice to the area, for example, for 20 minutes up to four times daily, may relieve pain. Ice and massage may also be used before exercise.

Exercise — Exercise may be helpful.
Please follow these exercises shown in the link below:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM02897

Protective footwear — Athletic shoes, arch supporting shoes (particularly those with an extra-long counter, which is the firm part of the shoe that surrounds the heel), or shoes with rigid shanks (usually a metal insert in the sole of the shoe) may be helpful. Cushion-soled shoes with gel pad inserts or heel cups may provide temporary pain relief. Silicone inserts have been found to provide better support than felt pads or rubber heel cups.
Dr Scholl's is a good brand.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Can it be tendonitis? Also, can muscle stiffness be the cause of bending down and not being able to get back up ? Finally, any good shoe recommendations

Yes inflammation of the tendon means tendonitis

You can try New balance jogger shoes --also with shoe inserts

Stupid question but muscle stiffness and tendonitis is same thing and/or treated same way?

That is correct not embolism related.

Thank you.

Very welcome

Inflammation causes stiffness and tendonitis --so treatment same.

Best wishes