Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I been taking mucinex D for 6 days now. I stopped taking due…

Customer Question
I been taking mucinex D...
I been taking mucinex D for 6 days now. I stopped taking due to side effects of red skin all over and tingling and itching .. The itching is driving me insane and I can't sleep at all. How long does the side effects last and drug to get outta my system ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2016
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Thanks for this question

it is probably an allergic reaction to the mucinex

It might take a few days for it to resolve

I would take some benadryl and pepcid (pepcid helps with alleriges too) to stop the itching

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

To answer your question.

The half life of mucinex is one hour.

This means it is out of your system in 6 hours or a little longer.

I never recommend benadryl any more due to its association long term with

Alzheimers.

I use claritin instead.

But, given the severity of your symptoms, a call to your doctor is warranted.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me anytime by request in medical.

Please click a positive rating on my answer page, Dr. Thomas, so I am paid specifically for giving you the answer you asked for.

There is no proven link between benadryl and Alzheimers

I would see your doctor but follow the advice in the meantime