Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My adult daughter has been sick for about 2 weeks. She has…

Customer Question
My adult daughter has been...
My adult daughter has been sick for about 2 weeks. She has been to her doctor twice and had IV fluids once. She was tested for flu and strep; Both were negative. Her main symptoms are intermittent fever of 100 - 101.4, that manifests early evening and night. She is also very weak with a cough and drainage that almost chokes her. No vomiting or diarrhea. Do you have any suggestions for the next step?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/18/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Given that the fever comes in the evenings, this can be a parasitic infection.

Malaria and Babesiosis are such examples both transmitted by mosquito bites.

Other bacterial infections like mycoplasma, klebsiella can be other possibilities.

Chest xrays, sputum culture, peripheral blood smear, blood count, blood cultures are recommended as next step.

Doxycycline can be started as antibiotic as it covers most of the possible organisms.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/