Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife sneezed/coughed very hard a week ago, and

Customer Question
My wife sneezed/coughed very...

My wife sneezed/coughed very hard a week ago, and experienced very sharp pain in rib area. Pain is way down now, but what remains is an "out-of place" feeling in her injured area. She says it feels like someone is sticking their finger in that area and then wiggling it- it's a very awkward, uncomfortable feeling that makes her wince, and unless she's still, it's a constant feeling for her. Our primary care physician said it sounds like an inflamed cartilage joint of one of the ribs. Wanted to get a 2nd opinion. Was thinking about trying to find a doctor that might specialize in this area?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

See initial message

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/16/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

your symptoms after this very hard sneeze or cough could have caused a hairline fracture of her rib

she can get a chest CT scan to look at her ribs in that area to check for hairline fracture.

she might benefit from a lidocaine 5% patch in the area to decrease pain.

an elastic velcro abdominal binder could also help decrease pain

ice and heating pads could help decrease pain there as well.

is she willing to ask her doctor for a chest CT Scan?

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com