Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I hear that Ashwagandha, Eleuthero, Holy Basil, and Rhodiola…

Customer Question
I hear that Ashwagandha...

I hear that Ashwagandha, Eleuthero, Holy Basil, and Rhodiola are synergistic. Can they all be taken together or would it be overkill. Also, can they be taken together with Effexor or in place of Effexor. Husband is on Effexor but is not getting better. Has been on different antidepressants for a long time and none of them have worked. Want to try something natural but don't know which combination of herbs to use.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I believe I stated the issue. Husband is on antidepressant (Effexor) and still feels very depressed and anxious. Would like to try something natural in combination or instead of Effexor.

Doctor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/16/2016
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

a. they should not be taken together.

b. they should not be taken at all without your doctors knowledge.

c. Any one of them might interact with effexor. Rhodiola would be most likely in my book to do so.

Adding herbs together outside of traditional, tried formulas, as prescribed by a traditional doctor, will have an unpredictable result.

IT is safer to use one at a time and gage the effects.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

That wasn't a very thought out response.
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

He should try different SSRI or SNRI antidepressant. Some work for some people and other world for other people. If SSRI or SNRI doesn't work, you should try atypical or tricyclic antidepressant. If it still doesn't work, he should try the combination. Other treatments for resistant depression are Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and /or Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). Herbs don't work better than prescription medications.

khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor