Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I've been suffering from what it feels like mucus stuck on

Customer Question

I've been suffering from what it feels like mucus stuck on the back of my throat for over 3 years on and off. But it seems to be getting worse in the last 3 months or so and it's not going away. I feel like my throat is swollen and it's very hard to swallow my on saliva but I don't have problem swallowing any food or liquids in fact it's the only time I feel comfortable because I don't have to swallow my on saliva. I constantly try to clear my throat, sometimes mucus does come out, it's usually very thick firm yellowish in color with some clear parts.
I feel overwhelmed because I can feel something(mucus/swelling) in my throat while breathing through my nose and swallowing.
I've seen my family doctor 4 times I've been suffering from what it feels like mucus stuck on the back of my throat for over 3 years on and off. But it seems to be getting worse in the last 3 months or so and it's not going away. I feel like my throat is swollen and it's very hard to swallow my on saliva but I don't have problem swallowing any food or liquids in fact it's the only time I feel comfortable because I don't have to swallow my on saliva. I constantly try to clear my throat, sometimes mucus does come out, it's usually very thick firm yellowish in color with some clear parts.
I feel overwhelmed because I can feel something(mucus/swelling) in my throat while breathing through my nose and swallowing. Some days my throat is sore from trying hard to swallow my saliva and trying to clear often. I tried to stop myself from trying to clear my throat as it only makes it worse and sore.
Here's what I've tried:
-Went to my family doctor 5 times.
-Was treated with antibiotics for what they believe could be sinus infection.
-Treated for reflux with nexium 2 weeks.
- stop caffeine.
- stop dairy.
- tried gluten free diet for a month.
- last doctor visit I was prescribed Xanax but I decided not to take because I'm afraid of dependency and I really want to find the answer for my problem and not hide behind this type of medication. Or at least have other doctors opinion on it.
Background:
I'm 36 years old, have 3 children.
I work from home owned a small business, usually really busy and stressed out.
I drink a lot of water
- I don't smoke.
- eat healthy most of the time.
Any idea or opinion on how I could treat this would be appreciated.
Thank you-
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Definitely worrisome symptoms.

Sounds like you have chronic allergies causing constant mucus production your sinuses.

Then they drip down to your throat --also known as post nasal drip.

THis should be evaluated by an ENT specialist.

Treatment requires combination of antihistamine an steroid to combat the inflammation.

Oral antihistamine Zyrtec 10 mg daily cheaper option along with Flonase 2 sprays each nostril daily for at least a month.

There are other options as well that can be discussed by the specialist if the first line of treatment fails.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention but that was one of the first thing we tried as my doctor thought for sure was post nasal drip then this treatment didn't work we tried treating for non acid reflux which it didn't work either.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Ok that is good to know.

In that case, you will need allergy testing and a CT scan of the sinuses as next option.

CT scan will look for any sinus polyps or chronic thickening of mucosa warranting sinus surgery.

ENT consult for a posterior rhinoscopy and laryngoscopy to look for any nasal polyps and post nasal drip of course.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already done a lot of research on post nasal drip and I know I need to see an ENT because I'm not really getting any new answers from you or the doctor I've seem in the past.
Thank you but I didn't get any new information to my problem.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

I mentioned about CT scan and allergy testing also to gather more information.

ENT specialist appointment will be more useful if your doctor can order these tests before hand.

Otherwise, you will end up having 2 more visits for the tests and then discuss results for further steps.

Best wishes