Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My wife fell and has pain in her chest area. The Patient

Customer Question
My wife fell and has...
My wife fell and has pain in her chest area. The Patient First doctor said it was a bruised sternum.
Can you provide more details as to how long it will take to heal and what she should do to alleviate pain?
\
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
1/14/2016
Doctor: Dr.Amita, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor

Hello

I am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you today with your concerns.

Can you tell me how long back did the injury occur?

What treatment if any has she taken?

Thanks

Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr David

a bruised sternum can sometimes take 4-12 weeks to slowly heal, depending on the extent of trauma and the age of the patient.

she is 73 years old, so she may heal slower than younger patients.

putting ice packs wrapped in a towel on the area can help decrease inflammation and pain and swelling

a chest CT scan can check for hairline fractures in the sternum as well

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician