Dr Katz
Dr Katz, DDS
Experience:  Doctoral degree
65223180

I tried loosening wax in my ear with olive oil and rinsing

Customer Question

I tried loosening wax in my ear with olive oil and rinsing with warm water per instructions on the syringe. This did not dislodge anything and now my ear feels like it has water in it. Can I put hydrogen peroxide in the ear to clear the water?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Katz replied 1 year ago.

This is not a dental question but you can use hydrogen peroxide in the ear to break up wax.You should lie with the ear up and just a few drops should be placed in the ear canal.You should let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.You will hear some bubbling as the peroxide is breaking down the wax.After the bubbling has stopped,you can use the ear syringe with warm water to rinse out the remaining debris.

Expert:  Dr Katz replied 1 year ago.

Lying with the treated ear down after it is cleared of debris should release the remaining water in a minute or two.

Expert:  Dr Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you are still having problems releasing any water that may be trapped,tilting your head sideways while standing next to something to support you,and hopping in one foot a few times ,can be helpful getting the water out by giving a small jolt to the air bubble trapping any liquid still in your ear.

Expert:  Dr Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that you need?