Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My 35 yo son has a 12 year history of heroin addiction. In

Customer Question
Nov., we allowed him to...
My 35 yo son has a 12 year history of heroin addiction. In Nov., we allowed him to return home after he successfully maintained sobriety for 6 months, while on methadone. He was on 60 mg and asked the clinic to increase his dose because of cravings. Last Monday, they increased his dose to 70 mg and on Tuesday they increased his dose to 80mg. He is now exhibiting slurred speech and sedation. His respiratory rate is stable. I notified the methadone clinic of my concerns on Thursday. Is it possible that he could be this sedated after the increase or should I be concerned that he is taking benzo's?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
1/9/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Only a urine drug screen can help to sort that out.

However, Methadone dose increase can cause drowsiness, and slurred speech.

The dose should be lowered by he clinic after checking the urine drug screen.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist