DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My son has been to two urgent care facilities with pain in

Customer Question

Customer: my son has been to two urgent care facilities with pain in ear, swollen jaw. Diagnosed with ear infection. Given Z-pak first then Augmentin and still not completely well. Feels full sensation in ear and jaw is better but still swollen. He works in a very moist environment; manages a car wash. I'm wondering if this might be fungal?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No fever, no sweats. Just does not feel well. He just finished 10 days of 875 mg of Augmentin and still does not feel well. Feels pressure and jaw is still minimally swollen
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hi

If it got better from the antibiotics, it is not likely fungal.

Fungal infection of the middle ear are rare.

Make sure an infected tooth has been ruled out. This is often missed and will swell the jaw.

An x ray and exam is needed.

I suggest that he see his dentist, and an ENT specialist at this point.

This sounds more complicated than a common ear infection.

A swab/culture of anything coming out of the ear, or of the middle ear is now a good idea.

This would confirm that it is not fungal.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.