Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

In March of 2014 I had at first what I thought was a cold

Customer Question
Hello Doc,In March of 2014...
Hello Doc,In March of 2014 I had at first what I thought was a cold coming on because I had a tickle in my throat. Over the next week that tickle turned into burning that move down to my stomach and then into my buttocks, penis and thighs. One night about 5 days after all of this started the pain was so incredibly extreme in my penis I was sure I had an STD and I know this sound crazy, but that night I could only find relief by rubbing ice cubes on my penis which actually worked. It did feel like my penis was much warmer than my body temperature for the rest of my body.I had the standard STD tests done and everything came back negative. I also asked the doctor to treat me for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and Trichomoniasis just in case, because I was in a lot of pain, which she did. So all things those treatments would cure can be effectively ruled out as well. I then waited the appropriate amount of time since my last sexual encounter to be tested for Herpes and HIV and they were negative.After these tests I had additional testing done. I had CAT scan that showed nothing unusual. Then I had an endoscopy and an colonoscopy that showed nothing unusual as well. I even had a hydrogen breath test that showed nothing unusual. I haven't been tested for a parasite but I doubt that is it.I should mention my other symptoms before I go on. These other symptoms I feel are connected with the inflammation in my stomach an other areas. During this time I have had headaches in my frontal lobes that are always accompanied with extreme drowsiness. Also I have also had a very strong cramping feeling in my back neck on the right side that shoots into my upper back as well. At times the I would have an extreme burning feeling in my stomach that would be somewhat relieved by the passing of extremes amounts of gas. Also the burning seems to move around.So it is almost a year later and I am still dealing with this. The pain was almost unbearable when it first started but has gradually decreased over time. I definitely goes in cycles though. Sometimes it will mostly be gone for awhile and then seems to cycle up again where it hits a peak and then gradually dissipate over a 10-14 day period. I say mostly gone because I feel like it is always there somewhere and I can feel it even if it is faint at times.Like I said when the pain started it was almost unbearable and the initial cycle lasted about 3-4 months. Each time it has cycled back up again it seems like the peak has decreased but now I feel like it has plateaued and is not getting worse or better. It is almost a year later and I have just kind of learned to live with it but it is still very much a concern of mine and if I can somehow be relieved from this pain/discomfort/burden I would do just about anything.Have you ever heard of anything like this? I feel like the tests I have had would have figured this out already but I am still suffering. I really feel like this is some type of infection just by the way it came on and has gotten better over time. Any information you can provide would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I was typing this I was doing a little reading as well and came upon something I don't think I was tested for and had never heard of. Could this be Mycoplasma genitalium?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know this isn't your specialty but none of the options for type of doctor related to this.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should have said March 2015. I have been dealing with this for 9-10 months.
1/7/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that no expert has yet responded, but this may be due to the fact that there is no condition that would clearly present with this sequence of symptoms. It would be unusual for Mycoplasma genitalium to cause all of these symptoms, plus the treatment that is used for chlamydia would usually also treat Mycoplasma.

In situations in which someone has symptoms and an underlying condition cannot be clearly diagnosed, the usual next step would be consultation at a referral medical center, usually associated with a medical school. The doctors that work at these facilities have more experience in rare diseases, and in unusual presentations. They also are on the cutting edge of development of new diagnostic tests, so may be able to perform tests that are otherwise not available.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor