DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I burned my leg about 2 weeks. Pants caught on fire while

Customer Question

I burned my leg about 2 weeks. Pants caught on fire while welding. Took several seconds to get the fire out. Blisters came up immediately. The biggest one (about the size of a 50 cents piece) and another (size of a quarter). I didn't go to the doctor at that time. Had some silverdine (1%) here at home and my wife cleaned it and wrapped it with gause and non stick pads. We treated it 1 and/or 2 times a day. After about 5 days I ran out of medicine so I went to our local nurse practioner. She said it looked ok from the treatment standpoint but is/was concerned about the possible dead/badly damaged tissue from the 2 worse spots. Both are a yellowish/green tint with white mixed in. It is beginning to heal around the sides but is still oozing a yellow tinted liquid. I can't see improvement in the worst areas and am wondering if I should continue to let my body heal as it can or what I should do regarding special care. I have been taking antibotics since it happened. I have been taking some photos the last week so I could look for changes.
What would you suggest as my next course of action. I'm not worried about a scar if the wound will heal without grafts!
Regards, ***** *****
Columbus, MS 39702
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

The wounds will continue to heal.

Infection should be controlled by the antibiotics.

You can consider petrolatum jelly impregnated bandages to wrap around the wounds to prevent contamination from outside.

Silvadene also can be continued along with before applying the bandage.

Home remedies Honey and turmeric paste have been shown by studies to promote healing and prevent scarring.

May take 6 to 8 weeks to heal completely.

Scar tissue will be resorbed by body's immune system gradually.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Different expert with a different answer here.

Do NOT self treat at home here.

Show this to a burn specialist doctor, or surgeon.

This probably needs surgical debridement.

There can be third degree aspects to this burn.

In fact, until proven other wise that is the case.

Can look at a picture here as well.

But, get this attended to...bot***** *****ne.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Please click a positive rating and find me anytime.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

The edit function is not working.

I would like to again add, do not delay on getting help here.

This can turn to necrotic tissue, which is a set up for infection and further tissue loss.

Here is a short article on third degree burns.

http://www.surgerywise.com/procedure_info/third-degree-burns.htm

Let me, Dr. Thomas, know if you have further concerns.

Please click a positive rating.

Find me as needed.

Save time, find me by request in medical for future questions.

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.