How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65015
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I an American and have moved to Mx. But one of the meds I

Customer Question

Hi, I an American and have moved to Mx. But one of the meds I was taking is not here I am trying to find a different med to replace it I do take Metoprolol Tartrate 25 mg , one in morning and one at night. The one I can't buy here is Triamt/ HCTZ 37.5-25mg tab apo. I also take Atorvastatin 40 mg tab leg. Could you suggest a diferent med to replace the Triamt? Here we can buy over the counter. ??????
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


Triamterine is a postasium sparing diuretic.

Other examples are amiloride, spironolactone, and eplerenone.

Spironolactone is the one likely to be most available.

However, the problem with them is that you can accumulate potassium unless you are losing it.

So, you probably don't need it unless you keep taking hctz and unless you lose potassium under these circumstances.

Get doctor help on this, as you might be able to use a simpler combination.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.