Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a sore on the inside of my mouths. It tingles when

Customer Question
touched, kinda numb feeling. It's...
I have a sore on the inside of my mouths. It tingles when touched, kinda numb feeling. It's white and there are few smaller red bumps on same side as well. It's been there for 3 days now. Not sure if has increased in size but has not decreased
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
On cheek closer to too
1/6/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This is an aphthous ulcer.

Caused by stress commonly.

Also smoking, alcohol, acid reflux can cause this as well.

This is benign harmless condition.

Should heal by itself in 10-14 days.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

This is most likely a herpes type one lesion. At least one of the lesions clearly looks like it. These are common. So you might want to rule this possibility out with your doctor.

It is not harmful, generally speaking.

It is caused by a virus.

Typically referred to as a "cold sore." This is since when someone is run down they often notice these outbreaks.

It is generally a self limited condition.

However, it can be contagious, even though most adults have already been exposed. [probably about 90% of everyone]. These do seem to appear more with stress, but most people do not have outbreaks. Stress is not a cause, but might temporarily lower you immune status and allow the virus to express itself.

Show this to your doctor.

If you wanted to confirm the type one virus, this could be swabbed before it goes away, which it will.

Apthous ulcer is a non specific term, which can refer to an entire cluster of disorders. They are idiopathic, cause unknown. There is a large differential diagnosis, and the other possibilities are not harmless, so even though apthous ulcers are harmless, there needs to be a close exam, under magnification to make sure of the diagnosis.

Please click a positive.

Let me, Dr.
Thomas, know if you have more questions.

Double board certified US doctor.

find me anytime.

Hi there,

This is not a herpes infection.

Herpes causes multiple blisters.

This is not a blister.

Hence this is just an aphthous ulcer not infectious or contagious.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist